Monday, April 25, 2011

46 Pages, Scott Liell

46 Pages:  Thomas Paine, Common Sense, and the Turning Point to American Independence by Scott Liell contains the entire text of the Common Sense and includes commentary to help explain it.  Concise and well-written, Liell's commentary is said to be a "must have."  My wife and I both have an interest in this book, so she reads it to me while we are driving on long trips.

Started: 4/18/2011
Completed: 6/2011
Recommendation: Strongly Recommended
Recommended by:  I saw this book at Vertigo when it closed and it called out to me.  Common Sense is something I've always felt I should read.  This book was also selected by the family for a book discussion this summer.
Words I looked up:


encomium -- A speech or piece of writing that praises someone or something highly.
jesuitically -- basically means "like a Jesuit," but that isn't helpful.  Describing someone as a Jesuit (who is not a Jesuit) is to say that person is "given to subtle casuistry."  Casuistry is excessively subtle reasoning intended to rationalize or mislead.
papistical -- of or relating to or supporting Roman Catholicism

Review:  Common Sense is funny and Liell helps give the context necessary to understand the humor.  The back story of Thomas Paine is interesting as well.  This is a fantastic discussion of one of the most important books in the American Revolution.  Just wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment