Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Stiletto, Daniel O'Malley

Stiletto by Daniel O'Malley is a sequel to The Rook.

Started:  12/13/2019
Completed: 12/31/2019
Recommendation: Recommended
Recommended By: Nobody

Words for which I sought help:

insouciance -- casual lack of concern; indifference

Review:

This is a pretty interesting book.  It carries forward from the previous book, but in a new way with very little of the original character.  The basic story carries along the same theme, but attacks it from a different angle.  I have to say that I enjoyed it.

I really loved this simile:  "The car moved forward in fits and starts like an opera singer who had been hit by a hockey stick in the middle of an aria, but insisted that the show must go on."  The idea that an opera singer could be hit by a hockey stick (of all things) just came out of left field.  In addition, the idea of a diva insisting that things go forward despite being in a clearly dilapidated state also caught me as clever.  The image I had was a large viking woman (which kept flipping back in my mind to Bugs Bunny wearing a horned helm) struggling to hold it together while hitting her high C, coughing (understandably), then wheezing back to the correct note.

No comments:

Post a Comment