Monday, September 3, 2012

Wired Love, Ella Cheever Thayer

Wired Love:  A Romance of Dots and Dashes by Ella Cheever Thayer was a Project Gutenberg book that caught my eye.

Started: 10/19/2011
Completed:  5/10/2012
Recommendation:  Not recommended
Recommended By:  I read a magazine article about love via email while doing some research on one of my son's efforts to find a Russian bride.  It mentioned this book as the first description of remote romance, so I thought I'd give it a try.

Words I looked up:

inamorata - A person's female lover

Review:

This is a book that is typical of pulp fiction at the time.  It isn't quite as dramatic as there are only one or two fainting scenes and there aren't any conversions to God.  It has the mild air of a comedy (mistaken identities and such) but one poorly drawn as I never found myself laughing out lout and the mistaken identities seemed to be generally painful to the characters.  The romance via Morse Code is definitely over played though it seems to have been semi-auto biographical.  The constant "restraint" exercised by the characters literally overshadows their ability to interact in almost any way and the book dissolves to some kind of constant cat and mouse played by characters who seem to always do the wrong thing for questionable reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment