Friday, April 1, 2016

The War of the Flowers, Tad Williams

 
The War of the Flowers by Tad Williams is a book about which I knew nothing when I bought it.  I had recently met Tad Williams at a book signing and had enjoyed his Memory, Sorrow, and Thorne series.  The dude is awesome.  Even his cat books.

Started:  2/17/2016
Completed: 5/23/2016
Recommendation: strongly recommended
Recommended By:  Nobody

Words for which I sought help:

chirurgeon -- archaic form of surgeon

dobber -- a person who secretly tells someone in authority that someone else has done something wrong.  It is also slang for male anatomy.

Review:

Early in the book is a simile that suggests hospitals are like T.S. Eliot poems.  I was not able to find a poem that embodied this imagery, but I did not look very hard. 

This book is truly an epic tale and a short review of a few paragraphs seems trite.  I like the general idea that magic has rules at that concept is explored in this book.   I also like the unwitting or anti-hero.  Finally, the idea of effectively the unstoppable force meeting the immovable object also peaks my interest.  This book has all that and the most delicious character, Applecore.  

Amongst concepts and imagry that frequently exceeds  imagination, the author exposes the gritty underbelly of Fairy in a journey to a place that is impossibly real with issues just as horrifying as those in the mortal realm.  

It is a good read with well crafted prose, some fantastic story lines, and a glimmer of hope for those who cannot imagine the hero within.

No comments:

Post a Comment