Sunday, January 14, 2018

Troublemaker,Leah Remini

Troublemaker:  Surviving Hollywood and Scientology by Leah Remini is a book that I decided to buy when I started to watch Scientology and The Aftermath on A&E network.  I felt that I had to support Ms. Remini in her battle with Scientology.  My wife read this book and felt it was easily worth the time it would take to read.

Started:  1/12/2018
Completed: 1/14/2018
Recommendation: Recommended
Recommended By:  my wife

Review:

This is a quick and easy read.  The writing is engaging and the Leah Remini does a good job of culling facts about her life that might be interesting to her from facts that might be interesting to a random reader.  A loud, brash, frankly kinda trashy New Yorker is a stereotype, by on that Ms. Remini opts to live.  I don't mean that she is trying to be someone she isn't, but that she is comfortable being who she is even if that is a stereotype.  I have to admit that I have not been fond of her as an actress (I found King of Queens to only moderately funny--I don't enjoy the insult humor or the slapstick and I find it hard to watch her on Kevin Can Wait because I feel like killing off his wife was a really harsh way to replace her with Ms. Remini).  I have been very interested in her series on A&E and find her brave brashness welcome, but she also shows her compassion for other people clearly in the series.  That is the person to whom I can relate.

This book shows some of how she came to be the person she is.  It is quite readable and informative.  Plus, it supports her and I think that she is doing a good thing trying to expose Scientology.  Go Leah!

Also, if you are a Scientologist and are reading this, it is possible that by aligning myself with Ms. Remini I am an SP, so if you think so (and you know me), I completely get it if you need to disconnect.

No comments:

Post a Comment