Saturday, November 29, 2014

The Ultimate Weapon is No Weapon, Shannon D. Beebe and Mary Kaldor

The Ultimate Weapon is No Weapon:  Human security and the New Rules of War and Peace by Shannon D. Beebe and Mary Kaldor is a way of looking at how we wage war with an eye towards having a more effective solution to human conflict then dropping bombs.  Lt. Col. Beebe was a West Point graduate who was an expert in human security and worked in Afghanistan and Angola (he was killed in a private airplane accident in 2011).  Mary Kaldor is a recognized expert in peace and efforts to facilitate peace, particularly in Africa.  She is a recipient of the Ludwig Quidde award for peace research and is a leader in the concept of Human Security.

Started: 11/21/2014
Completed: 11/29/2014
Recommendation: Can't offer a recommendation
Recommended By:  my wife
Words and Concepts for which I sought help:

Injunction -- an authoritative warning or order

Review:

I could not get past the first 20 or so pages.  I'd like to read this, but the endless litany of human suffering that characterized the beginning of this book made it too hard for me to read.  Indications were that each chapter would contain similar descriptions.  I know this happens.  I want to find a way to stop it.  I cannot suffer through it each chapter.  Some people need this, I don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment