Friday, December 9, 2016

The Finish, Mark Bowden

The Finish:  The Killing of Osama bin Laden by Mark Bowden read by James Lurie is an audio book that I picked up at the library book store because the librarian thought "I'd definitely like it."  It came free with another audio book that I actually wanted.  It has been sitting in my pile of audio books until it is the only one on hand.

Started: 11/31/2016
Completed: 12/9/2016
Recommendation: Highly Recommended
Recommended By:  a nearby librarian

Review:

OK, the librarian was right.  I don't know what I expected--I guess gratuitous violence.  This book was a great balance between the logistics, the decision making, and the actual events.  It offered analysis, resolution of conflicting accounts, and mechanical details of the whole operation over the course of many years.  It was remarkably well written and I am glad that I heard it.  Anyone wondering what decisions were made or how the operation was accomplished would be interested in this book.  There is enough detail to make the description complete without so much detail as to make the work boring or nauseating.  It is probably worth every American reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment