Friday, September 18, 2020

Super Sad True Love Story, Gary Shteyngart

 

Super Sad True Love Story by Gary Shteyngart got good reviews all over and I'm pretty sure I read about it in the New York Times.

Started: 9/15/2020
Completed: 9/18/2020
Recommendation: Not Recommended
Recommended By: A lot of places

Review:

The horrifying dystopia envisioned in this book is too close to home.  Ruth Bader Ginsburg died today.  Surely that tempers my perspective.  I did not find the book shocking, but I was  uncomfortable with things like a "suck dick" T-shirt being "hip."  It seemed intended to shock and the casual reference to body parts and sexual positions tied to a "fuckability ranking" seemed cheap.  The characters were flat and plot path was clear.  I just didn't like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment