Wednesday, October 7, 2020

Benjamin Franklin, Walter Isaacson

 

Benjamin Franklin: An American life by Walter Isaacson caught my eye as I was looking for a different book on Franklin.

Started: 10/4/2020
Completed: 10/6/2020
Recommendation: Mild Recommendation
Recommended By: Nobody


Review:

I have read an early Franklin biography (I typed it into Project Gutenberg).  I learned things from this biography that the previous simply omitted.  This biography, however, remains an homage to Franklin.  There is nothing wrong with that, but it obscures the individual.  I was interested to learn about his first son and the complications that came with it.  It seems to me that an entire book could reasonably be written on that topic and not explore it fully.  I was disappointed with the author taking Franklin's position with regard to John Adams, whom I deeply respect.  It certainly affected my view of the biography and, no doubt, leaves me an unfair reviewer.

No comments:

Post a Comment