Monday, June 24, 2019

Fascism, Madeleine Albright

Fascism:  A warning by Madeleine Albright is a book I picked up because it is hard to resist a Secretary of State talking about Fascism.

Started: 5/20/2019?
Completed: 6/24/2019
Recommendation: Mild recommendation
Recommended By: Nobody

Review:

Secretary Albright offers this quotation, "A lie is not another side of the story; it is just a lie."  I cannot find the source of this quotation, it seems to be a saying. I think it is an important saying and I will remember it.

The book is not a call to arms to protect the USA from Fascism.  Rather it is a historical overview followed by a caution.  The "warning" of the subtitle is that things are trending really well right now in many places, the USA included.

I liked listening to Secretary Albright narrate this book.  She provided emphasis where I knew she intended that emphasis to be.  It was interesting to hear her nuance of her comfortable prose.  The book is a good overview and I learned interesting trivia (Putin's grandfather was Stalin's cook, Mussolini was a meticulous ruler, and Kim Jong Il was well spoken).  I picked up a biography of Mussolini as a result of this book and it will eventually show up (maybe 10 years from now, but he will be no less dead in the interim).

No comments:

Post a Comment