Thursday, February 27, 2020

Know My Name, Chanel Miller

Know My Name:  A memoir by Chanel Miller is the story of a woman who was raped by a Stanford jock and her name was kept anonymous out of respect for her.  This is her story as she wants to tell it.

Started: 1/1/2020
Completed: 2/26/2020
Recommendation: Highly Recommended
Recommended By: 60 Minutes

Review:

This book is a hard read.  It is a difficult story and it is told without pulling punches.  The author refers to her own vagina as "a void in my body."  She does this to establish how the court system sees her and how she comes to see herself half way through the prosecution of her attacker.  Chanel Miller had a strong and moving statement that was released to the public and I remember reading it when it came out--how impressed I was!  Now, understanding all that is behind it, I am simply aghast.  This is a highly personal recounting of a sexual assault so it is hard to read, but it is worth the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment