Monday, February 10, 2020

The Starless Sea, Erin Morgenstern

The Starless Sea by Erin Morgenstern was recommended to me by one of my nieces.

Started: 2/5/2020
Completed: 2/10/2020
Recommendation: Recommended
Recommended By: A niece

Review:

This book had a disorienting start, but I'm beginning to think that if the protagonist is confused, like I am, then it is easier for me to deal with the disorientation.

The author provides some insight into the nature of the book by saying, "[c]hange is what a story is, after all."  Picking up on that clue early, helps one navigate the whole of the book--this one will be about change and inflection points are caught around change.

This book features stories within the story and some have multiple endings.  This is the second book that I have read recently that features that kind of story and it is something to which several other books have alluded in my memory.  I have gradually found the concept understandable.

When I think of fantasy, this is not what I usually conceive--this seems more like literature to me.  I enjoyed the references to other books, wrapped in the book and I'm sure I missed some.  There is something to the bunny that I'm sure I missed and I imagine that the frequent references to cats (and, particularly not feeding them) that must tie into other books or story lines that I just missed.

I get the idea that dying and being reborn sort of comes from video games, although it seems clear that it is not a straight reference.  It seems like that to me because the reborn sort of have a similar context (though not the same context as you would get from a video game).  It is different from a spiritual rebirth because there is no sense of progress (for better or worse) along with the rebirth rather a sort of blip in continuity.

I like the idea of living outside of time and never thought of the impact of that on a story.  It is a well explored concept here.

No comments:

Post a Comment