Friday, February 28, 2020

The Guns of August, Barbara W. Tuchman

The Guns of August by Barbara W. Tuchman is a book that I have literally put off reading.  I'm not thrilled with war stories.  This one just kept getting referenced and I felt that if I was not familiar with it, I would require lengthy explanations and chiding to go read it.

Started: 2/21/2020
Completed: 2/28/2020
Recommendation: Mildly Recommended
Recommended By: This book was referenced in another book I had read, but I cannot remember which book

Words for which I sought help:

pederast -- a man who desires or engages in sex with boys

Review:

The prose is beautiful and insightful.  The mastery of all the components of the first 30 days or so of WWI is amazing.  Ms. Tuchman brings the humanity of the participants to the fore and really helps the reader understand what was happening.  I pretty much hate war.  That makes it hard to give this book more than a mild recommendation--the thing that holds it back from a better recommendation from me, by far, is the topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment