Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Hiding in Plain Sight, Sarah Kendzior


Hiding in Plain Sight:  The invention of Donald Trump and the erosion of America by Sarah Kendzior is another book about how Trump became president.  I think my wife recommended this one to me.

Started: 6/19/2020
Completed: 6/24/2020
Recommendation: Recommended, until it does not matter anymore
Recommended By:  My Wife

Review:

Listening to this book was difficult for me.  I found the strident nature of the author's voice grating.  Sometime around the middle of the 7th part (of 9) something must have happened, because her tone became easier.  After a while it returned to its prior state.  I thought that this must have had something to do with the range of the woman's voice (I suffer hearing loss in the range of women's voices), but my wife heard it also.  I think that it might have to do with the cadence, but I'm not sure.  I think that the part I found easier to hear was done with a traditional journalist's cadence instead of the consistent (monotonous?...I dunno) cadence with which the rest of the book was done.

"The bedrock of autocracy is laid with the abdication of vigilance" sort of lays out the tenor for the whole book.  Letting things slide (allowing criminal activity to proceed unchecked) facilitates autocracy.  I write this on the day that a 3 judge appeals court said that the case against Michael Flynn (who plead guilty twice) should be dismissed.  Oh my God.

"It's in the public domain; it always has been" is Kendzior's catch phrase.  Trump runs a criminal organization and the evidence is readily available.  It is not dubious or a "maybe" it is flat-out there.  When we do not act on it we, as a society, kiss our democracy good bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment