Friday, June 19, 2020

The End of October, Lawrence Wright


The End of October by Lawrence Wright is a pandemic novel recommended by my mother.  I am sort of dreading reading it.

Started: 6/17/2020
Completed: 6/19/2019
Recommendation: Not Recommended
Recommended By: my mother

Words for which I sought help:

porte cochere -- a covered entrance large enough for vehicles to pass through, typically opening into a courtyard.

Review:

This book has a certain echo of the current pandemic, but far more serious.  The chatter on the television seems so real largely because it is a novel that was recently written and so is suffused with the current regime.  That is really scary because the author apparently presumes that there is some Trump form of power that is retained into the near future.

I really disliked this book.  The basic research was good and the impact of the pandemic was reasonable given the constraints.  The characters were generally flat.  After the initial release of the pandemic the arc of the story was highly predictable.  It feels like the assault on the children was simply gratuitous.  I dunno...maybe too close to home, but I really didn't enjoy this book at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment