Monday, February 15, 2021

Caste, Isabel Wilkerson

 

Caste: The origins of our discontents by Isabel Wilkerson keeps getting reviewed as an excellent book offering insights into systemic racism.

Started: 2/12/2021
Completed: 2/15/2021 (did not finish)
Recommendation: Recommended if you have not read of the horrors of slavery
Recommended By: Nobody

Review:

"Race is a social concept, not a scientific one," J. Craig Venter (geneticist who ran Celera Genomics).

Here's the deal, I just cannot stomach the reality again.  I have read several books about slavery forcing myself to pay attention to the graphic detail of the horrors of slavery.  I just cannot do it again.  As it is, my nightmares all too often go in this direction.  It is just more than I can take.  Yes, I realize that merely reading about something awful (likely perpetrated by my own relatives) is nothing even remotely like living through it.  I don't wish slavery on anyone ever.  I have a visceral reaction to its horrors.  I just cannot take any more and had to abandon this book half way through.

No comments:

Post a Comment