Tuesday, February 9, 2021

The Once and Future Witches, Alix E. Harrow

 

The Once and Future Witches by Alix E. Harrow was brought to my attention by my wife and the reviews were quite good.

Started: 2/3/2021
Completed: 2/9/2021
Recommendation: Mild Recommendation
Recommended By: Good Reads

Review:

This book is a bit of philosophy and it looks a tad at the nature of trust.  "Surely, trust is never broken, but simply lost; and, what is lost that can't be found?" is how the book starts, but, by midway, trust is something given.  It is an interesting idea.

I'm not particularly big on life and death as a motivator for a story.  I'm not really happy about a compelling death.  This book just did not make me happy.  I really, really  like the characters.  I liked the fun of the "Sisters Grimm" or "Little Girl Blue."  The layered love story is nice.  In short, this is a good book.  I just do not like the way that death is a lever to force along what would be an excellent and compelling story without it.  I have to admit, I think it would do fine even without the risk of death being in the offing throughout.  Then again, how many books have I written?

No comments:

Post a Comment