Saturday, February 12, 2022

Sankofa, Chibundu Onuzo

 

Sankofa by Chibundu Onuzo is a book I picked up at random, I think it was highlighted by the library.

Started: 2/9/2022
Completed: 2/11/2022
Recommendation: Highly Recommended
Recommended By: Nobody

Review:

I have to admit that I did not expect a reference to Thomas Beckett, much less an allusion to the plot of "Murder in the Cathedral."  It just seemed so removed from the context of the book, but it was a pleasant surprise.  This is one of many tantalizing details wrapped up in this story.  I'm sure I missed several more.  It seems likely to me that the father in the story is a soft version of Bokassa, but I don't really know enough of Bokassa's life to be sure.  In some odd ways this is a coming of age story, but at the end it remains broadly unresolved--not because there is a planned sequel, but, I think, because life isn't all wrapped up and handed to you with a bow.  The parts of the story that are left hanging are integral to the characters and it does feel like the story ended abruptly with a lot more to tell.  This is not unlike the diary that starts the story, so the diary serves, in a way, as a model for the whole book.  I really enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment