Thursday, June 20, 2024

Brooklyn, Colm Tóibín

 

Brooklyn by Colm Tóibín

Started: 6/18/2024
Completed: 6/20/2024
Recommendation: Highly Recommended
Recommended By: Nobody, but I did enjoy The Magician so when I saw that Tóibín had released a new book, Long Island, I took note.  Of course, then I found out that it was a sequel to this book!

Review:

I read this book knowing that there was a sequel and I think it affected my perspective.  The writing was fabulous and the growth of the protagonist going out on her own and experiencing a whole new world (with all of its angst and all of its possibilities) was richly detailed.  I was struck by how her adventures (and misadventures) were handled and I think that as I neared the end of the book my approach to the book's conclusion would have been much different had I not known that another book was to come.  Regardless, I felt unfulfilled (which, surely, many others must have as well) by the conclusion and I ticked it off mentally without thinking that there was a book to follow.  Surely, the author had not intended to write another as he concluded this book.  Or, if he did, he certainly took his sweet time.  All the same, I can recommend the book with a clear conscious because he did, indeed, write a second book.

No comments:

Post a Comment