Sunday, June 23, 2024

The Ministry of Time, Kaliane Bradley

 

The Ministry of Time by Kaliane Bradley

Started: June 20, 2024
Completed: June 23, 2024
Recommendation: Highly Recommended
Recommended By: My niece

Words for which I sought help:

penumbra -- the partially shaded outer region of the shadow cast by an opaque object

Review:

Time travel, for me, is an unpleasant topic because I don't generally like the impact of the future on the past.  I'm not a fan of the "Back to the Future" approach of multiple time lines.  This book starts out with a practical approach to time travel and then seems to violate it (by using future flashbacks).  In all, the fundamental concept (that you cannot change the past, you can only change the future) is an interesting idea.  My gut is that it is unlikely you could reasonably change your personal future and, so, this book charges into my personal buzz saw.  That it does, so, however, is not necessarily a shortcoming.  This is, after all, a novel and Bradley is consistent within her own terms.  The pace is excellent and the way that she takes what she calls a 'footnote" and expands it into an entire character is so pleasant, believable, and enriching that I will forgive many things.  One thing that bothers me is how she handled grief and, while I accept that grief manifests in different people in different ways, it feels to me that Bradley ignores grief in many of her characters.  That is a short coming that could be improved and so I feel that the book could be better, but I fully accept that it is quite nice as it is and harbor no reservations in recommending it.  Read the afterword, it is well worth the time and does not expand the novel but talks about Bradley's approach to writing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment