Thursday, December 29, 2022

Dead Wake, Erik Larson

 

Dead Wake:  The last crossing of the Lusitania by Erik Larson

Started: 12/24/2022
Completed: 12/29/2022
Recommendation: Mild Recommendation
Recommended By: My mother

Review:

I like the way that Erik Larson writes and that is why this book gets a mild recommendation.  He did a good job of moving perspectives and coalescing disparate stories from the numerous passengers.  The problem, in my eyes, is that he didn't really address the consequence of the Lusitania being sunk.  He addressed the aftermath, but the real story, in my opinion, is how it changed the course of the US entrance into World War I.  Here, it seems almost incidental.  We get details (like Wilson golfing the next day) and a gaffe from the German PR machine, but it isn't clear that the Lusitania mattered.  Maybe it didn't (that is not what was taught in school), but I'm not clear on that score either.  As a result the book is both richly detailed and suffering from a lack of detail.  Ah well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment