Tuesday, December 20, 2022

The Revolutionary, Stacy Schiff

 

The Revolutionary: Samuel Adams by Stacy Schiff is another biography of a founder.  I find these compelling.

Started: 12/11/2022
Completed: 12/19/2022
Recommendation: Recommended
Recommended By: Nobody

Words for which I sought help:

emendation -- the process of making a revision or a correction to a text.

Review:

I have never read a review of Samuel Adams and, sadly, knew him more for beer.  A three term governor of Massachusetts and signer of the Constitution.  I know a lot about John Adams, but his older cousin has escaped my notice.  This was an interesting biography and I feel like I learned a lot.  In point of fact, however, Schiff has little history with which to work as his papers were largely destroyed (by him and others) and his work was, perforce, under the radar.  I had no awareness of his involvement (purported or otherwise) in the Boston Tea Party or as the owner of the Boston Gazette.

No comments:

Post a Comment