Thursday, February 16, 2023

What We Owe the Future, William MacAskill

 

What We Owe the Future by William MacAskill

Started: 2/12/2023
Completed: 2/15/2023
Recommendation: Highly recommended
Recommended By: I cannot remember how I came to look at this book, but the title is engrossing.

Review:

I am not a big fan of the "long view" on the world and I have no previous experience with population morality.  This book is an excellent and persuasive look at each.  It helps present some context for the Native American position that current decisions should be made considering the impact seven generations hence.  I've always been inclined toward that mode of thinking because it helps bring some perspective to what are "crucial" problems of today (e.g. probably not the kind of car to buy and probably how to instill serious concern for the environment in government as fast as possible).  I really like the ideas that are presented in this book and I like the way that they are presented.  I found the arguments compelling.  I listened to this book from the library, but have bought a copy so that I can go back over it, make notes, and have it on my shelf for reference.  This book is well worth reading and I can recommend it to everyone.  It is short, it is composed of understandable pieces, and it will change your approach to life--probably more in some than in others.

No comments:

Post a Comment