Tuesday, July 30, 2024

American Crusade, Andrew L. Seidel

 

American Crusade:  How the Supreme Court is weaponizing religious freedom by Andrew L. Seidel

Started: June 11, 2024
Completed: July 30, 2024
Recommendation: Highly Recommended
Recommended By: My wife (likely the Opening Arguments podcast)

Words for which I sought help:

abstemious -- not self-indulgent, especially when eating and drinking.

solipsism -- the quality of being very self-centered or selfish

vertiginous -- causing vertigo, especially by being extremely high or steep

Review:

Reading this book, it does not feel concise.  It feels dense.  It feels heavy.  The tons of footnotes bely how detailed this book actually is.  Seidel, however, has taken a topic that could fill a much, much larger multi-volume tome and drilled down to the most important points.  Every page, every paragraph, most sentences are important.  I learned a lot.  I relearned a lot.  I feel like I know how this attack on American freedom works.  What a fantastic book.  I hope that there are no new cases to discuss in the future, but we all know there will be until the crusade is finally crushed.

No comments:

Post a Comment