Thursday, August 15, 2024

The Demon of Unrest, Erik Larson

 

The Demon of Unrest:  A saga of hubris, heartbreak, and heroism at the dawn of the civil war by Erik Larson

Started: August 10, 2024
Completed: August 15, 2024
Recommendation: Recommended
Recommended By: My mother

Review:

I do enjoy the way that Larson tells a tale.  I also thought I had a good understanding of the start of the Civil War.  I did not.  I thought I had a thorough understanding of Lincoln's cabinet.  I still learned more.  Larson does a good job of building a vision through a character and then extending that vision to other characters.  Rusk is an excellent example whose life truly follows the story arc.  Having visited the batteries that play a prominent role in this book throughout my childhood (to include a visit to the library now in Fort Moultrie, I could see through my memory the sites described in the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment