Saturday, August 29, 2020

The Biggest Bluff, Maria Konnikova

 

The Biggest Bluff:  How I learned to pay attention, master myself, and win by Maria Konnikova seemed like a good poker book and now that I am in a weekly game, I figured I should pick up some more books on poker.

Started: 8/26/2020
Completed: 8/29/2020
Recommendation: Recommended
Recommended By:  The New York Times

Review:

This is not a poker primer.  It does offer something of an insight into what it takes to be a professional poker player.  I am confirmed in my belief that I would go waaay too far if I ever decided to pursue poker seriously--I am far better off not playing or just playing in meaningless games.

It is interesting, however, to hear a little of how Konnikova decided to apply some of her poker experience to her real life and how playing helped her understand herself better.  She is much too young for this to be some sort of autobiography--we learn little about her, so it is not an autobiography.  It is not really a memoir.  It is about a budding poker player and her very personal experience to becoming a professional.  That is enough for one book.

No comments:

Post a Comment